Information

Historic Bauernschmidt Manor House c.1909

Price:
$749,900

For Sale

Agent Details:
Gary Gestson




Gary Gestson
Historic Home Team - Long & Foster Real Estate
866-437-8766
301-646-0046
888-428-9737


Description:
Historic Bauernschmidt Manor House c.1909
This prestigious manor home has been beautifully restored with elegant, expansive spaces, 11' ceilings, elaborate woodwork & spectacular views of the Chesapeake Bay from the wraparound porches & an inviting 4th floor cupola. Built in 1909 by Baltimore brewer Frederick Bauernschmidt, as a summer home, on land once owned by philanthropist, Enoch Pratt, this magnificent Italianate-style Victorian home, designed by renowned architect, Robert C. Ullrich, is a tribute to a bygone era of opulence & affluence, with lavish historic detailing and the finest period fixtures. From its meticulously sculpted wood mantels to the finely crafted newel posts and banisters of its splendid dual staircase, this is a home of rare and beautiful distinction. Though steeped in history, Bauernschmidt Manor House offers a full compliment of modern amenities, including 4 ensuite bedrooms, a gourmet kitchen, central air conditioning and a private in-ground pool. Set on 3/4 of an acre with mature landscaping and a private yard, this gorgeous home is close to Baltimore & DC, yet a world away.


BRIEF HISTORY
Born in Baltimore, Maryland, in 1863, Frederick Bauernschmidt was the son of brewer George Baurenschmidt, who had emigrated from Wambach, Germany, in 1853, and his wife Margaretha, whose family (Weissner) was also involved in the city’s brewing business. George, who started life in America working for another Baltimore brewery, opened his own beer plant in 1864. As his family grew, his sons, including Frederick, learned the business and, in 1897, Frederick began construction of his own modern brewery. The following year, George sold his plant to the Maryland Brewing Company, a conglomerate that aggressively acquired various independent companies, many of which had been established by immigrants from Germany. Frederick borrowed money to complete his new production plant, which he named “American Brewery,” when it opened in 1899. His business grew and by the dawn of Prohibition in 1919, Frederick Bauernschmidt was producing around 350,000 barrels of beer annually. With the adoption of the Eighteenth Amendment, prohibiting the production and sale of alcoholic beverages in the United States, Baurenschmidt’s American Brewery closed. Bauernschmidt remained active in the civic life of Baltimore and made significant contributions to support the Union Memorial Hospital and other organizations and associations devoted to providing care to Baltimore’s citizens. Frederick Bauernschmidt died in 1933.
(National Museum of American History)

The Bauernschmidt Manor site was purchased in 1904...It is believed that the house was built in 1910, and that the foundation contains bricks from the Baltimore fire of 1904. Throughout the year, Frederick used the area to rest his Belgian horses, used to pull beer wagons. He also held crab feasts for his workers on the property. He & his wife, Agnes, lived in the Manor House during June, July & August. Many parties were held there to raise money for the Baltimore Opera, a pet project of Agnes. Agnes sold the estate, at auction, with its house, 44 acres and "out buildings" ten years after the death of her husband. It was acquired in 1943 by a developer who parceled off the land into approximately 100 individual lots. Today, at the entrance to the area a sign proclaims the neighborhood - Bauernschmidt Manor.
(A Brief History of Historic Bauernschmidt)

ARCHITECTURAL SIGNIFICANCE

(Maryland Historical Trust) Planter's Paradise is a very late example of Italianate rural architecture in frame and clapboard. The main block of the house is a square with a full width front porch that wraps around both sides. The most prominent feature is a large, square, hip-roofed cupola with twin round-topped windows on all four facades. The main front of the house is cross gabled and its gable peak shelters a large Palladian window. The eaves are heavily bracketed and exposed rafters emerge under the cross-gable eaves. The house is Italianate in style but fitted with the window types available in 1904, including large-pane sash windows and leaded glass windows. The cupola is supported by a brick column coming up from the basement, according to the former owners, the Williams family. Carlton Jones's 1989 article described some of the features of the house, its three stairways, its 16 by 26-foot dining room, 58 windows, and 14 rooms.
(MHT more...)

CHAIN OF TITLE
  • Planter's Paradise was an early land grant name, selected in March, 1658 by Thomas Cornwallis for a parcel of 1,000 acres at a site that became known as Planter's Point. The survey was apparently made before the creation of Baltimore County, because no county is mentioned in the survey document.
  • 1870-1891 - Planter's Paradise was used by duck hunting clubs. Some of the hunters, were rumored to have been presidents - Benjamin Harrison & Grover Cleveland.
  • 1899 - William O. Hinton
  • 1904 - Frederick Bauernschmidt, who built the manor home sometime before 1910.
  • 1940 - Otto F. Unger, a developer who sub-divided Planter's Paradise leaving the house on 1 acre.
  • 1951 - Nore B. Quillen, became owner of the house & several surrounding lots, defaulted 2 years later.
  • 1953 - Charles & Anna Williams, called the home Williams Manor and in 1980 it conveyed to their son who then sold it.
  • 1981 - Richard & Ginger Henley, who began the restoration and sold off the surrounding lots to its current size.
  • 1987 - Will Gerard & Sue Boyer, continued with the restoration.
  • 2003 - Current owners completed the extraordinary restoration.

SOME POTENTIAL USES:
Elegant Residence
Bed & Breakfast/Inn - Formerly Bauernschmidt Manor B&B

MLS #:
BC10096004

Property Type:
Residential

Style:
Italianate

Lot Size (acres):
0.75

Size (square feet):
4656

Bathrooms:
5
Bedrooms:
4

Condition:
Move in ready

Additional Out Buildings:


Features:



Location:
2316 Bauernschmidt Drive Essex
21221 Maryland

Year Built:
1909

Visitors:
2684

Submission Date:
11-02-2017