Entry Foyer 21' x 9'
- Wood floor, hang lamp, staircase with ornate newel post, crown molding. Room 21' x 15' -
Wood floor, chandelier with medallion, fireplace with faux marble painted mantel, crown molding, 2 pocket doors, 4 windows. Family Room 18' x 15'
- Wood floor, ceiling fan, 3 windows. Full Bathroom 16' x 9'
- Ceramic tile floor, ceramic tile half wall, bathtub, 1 window. Dining Room 18' x 15' -
Wood floor, hanging lamp with medallion, fireplace with faux painted marble, crown molding, chair rail, glass panel French doors to kitchen, 4 windows. Kitchen 15' x 13' -
Wood floor, granite counters, recessed lighting, wainscot, top-of-the-line appliances, gas stove, over-sized sink, custom cherry cabinets, window seat, pantry, exterior door to porch, 2 windows.
Master Bedroom 21' x 14' -
Wood floor, ceiling fan, 2 closets, 4 windows. Master Bedroom Sitting Room 13' x 8'
- Wood floor, closet, ceiling fan, 3 windows. Master Bathroom
- Ceramic tile floor, ceramic tile half wall, bathtub, 1 window. Bedroom 2 21' x 15' -
Wood floor, ceiling fan, 2 closets, 4 windows, pass door to Bedroom 3. Bedroom 3 13' x 12' -
Wood floor, ceiling fan, 2 closets, sink & cabinets, 2 windows. Hallway
- Wood floor, hanging lamp. Hall Bathroom 13' x 6'
- Ceramic tile floor, ceramic tile half wall, bathtub.
Bedroom 4 15' x 10' -
Wood floor, ceiling fan, 2 windows. Bedroom 5 14' x 10' -
Wood floor, ceiling fan, 2 windows. Bedroom 6 13' x 12' -
Wood floor, ceiling fan, 2 windows. Hall Bathroom
- Ceramic tile floor, ceramic tile half wall, claw foot tub, 1 window.
Basement Full basement with fixed staircase.
MARYLAND HISTORICAL TRUST
(designated CARR-536) The house is located at 195 Willis Street directly north of the Carroll County Courthouse. The land that became Willis Street was owned by Col. John K. Longwell, who began selling tracts off in the late 1880's. It quickly became a fashionable residential district and the houses show influences of the Victorian period, not only through their style, but also through their siting (sited back on their lots to provide a small front lawn). This site across from the 1838 Carroll County Courthouse was also an impressive location for a Westminster attorney. The brick house is a three story, five bay by three bay structure with a hipped roof. Architectural emphasis is placed on the main facade at the central bay, which projects out slightly and forms a tower on the roof. There is a double door on the main story and a three-bay, one story porch with serpentine brackets, turned posts, and patterned bannisters. The house has bracket cornice that also runs along the dormer of the central tower. The hipped roof is covered in sheet metal. The interior of the house retains the features of the late Victorian era. It has a square-shaped plan with six rooms on the main level, There are four major rooms, two each on the east and west sides of the house. In the center of the house is an entrance foyer with staircase and a small storage room (converted to a powder room) and a stairway to the basement and back stair to the second story. Each of the four major rooms had an original fireplace, but the ones in the two northern rooms have been covered over. The front rooms contain mantelpieces that date from the period and the hardware throughout the house, including hinges and box locks, are original.
(Maryland Historical Trust
JUDGE WILLIAM H. THOMAS
Judge Thomas was an attorney from St. Mary's County Maryland, who moved to Westminster in 1886. He practiced law in Westminster and in 1889 he married the daughter of Judge Charles B. Roberts. In 1893, they had a house built on Willis Street, which was becoming a prominent residential area of Westminster. In 1901, Thomas was elected associate judge of the Fifth Judicial Circuit and became Chief Judge before his death in 1924. Judge William Henry Thomas was the son of William Henry Thomas of St. Mary's County, and Elanor Mackubin. of Annapolis. He was born in May 1861 at the family homestead, "Brambly", near Maddox. He attended Charlotte Hall and graduated from the Maryland Agricultural College in 1881 as valedictorian of his class. In 1884, he graduated from the University of Maryland Law School and began his legal practice with the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Company's legal department and with John H. Cowan. In September 1886, Thomas moved to Westminster to establish a legal practice with ex-judge James A. C. Bond. Soon thereafter, he started his own practice, which he continued until his elections as associate Judge of the fifth Judicial Circuit in 1901. In 1889, he married a prominent Westminster native, Catherine Roberts, daughter of an influential attorney and judge Charles B. Roberts, who became a judge of the Court of Appeals. They had four children: Dr. Charles Roberts Thomas, who practiced medicine in Columbia, MS; Mrs. Nancy Seamans, of Baltimore; Mrs. Catherine Schwartz, of Harrisburg; and Miss Eleanor M. Thomas, of Westminster. Judge Thomas came from a prominent Maryland family. His grandfather, Mr. Mackubin, of Annapolis, was the first State Treasurer of Maryland. His father, William Henry Thomas, served a number of terms in the Maryland legislature. Other relatives who were influential attorneys were John R. Thomas of Baltimore; James Mackubin and Judge Hammond of Howard County; Richard T. Merrick of Washington, DC; Judge George Brent, and Judge William M. Merrick. Judge Thomas's obituary, printed in the May 2, 1924 edition of the Democratic Advocate describes him as "a man of personal charm, and was distinguished for his courtesy and consideration to all, winning many close and devoted friends; and his learning, fairness, and ability were universal recognition; and impartiality and care in the disposition of his duties marked his conduct on the bench". This property remained in the Thomas family until 1952, when it was sold to C. Ivan Seipp. After Seipp's death, the property was sold to A. LaRue Seipp and in 1985 it was sold to Ernest J. Howard and R. Lucille Eaton. The current owners are the fifth family to own this extraordinary property in 120 years.
WESTMINSTER HISTORIC DISTRICT
The core of the Westminster Historic District is its Main Street which is in a relatively good state of preservation, While several significant buildings have been lost, the majority of the early buildings still exist and continue in their original use. The residents have a strong and continuing interest in the preservation of Westminster. Restoration and rehabilitation have been underway for several decades. Moreover, the city government has been a leader in the preservation efforts through the completion and publication of an architectural survey and the promotion of rehabilitation projects in both the commercial and residential areas.
(Westminster National Register Historic District
LINKS Historic District
- Westminster National Register Historic District Maryland Historical Trust
- Maryland Department of Planning
RELATED VIDEOS Video Walking Tour
- Judge William Thomas House (in HD) Westminster Then & Now (Part 1)
- Photographic history of Westminster Westminster Then & Now (Part 2)
- Photographic history of Westminster Maryland Fall Harvest Festival
- Westminster, Carroll County Carroll County Tourist Center
- Westminster The Carroll County Story
- Vintage film from 1968