Historic Davis House c.1810

MLS #: MC8221117
Listing Type: For Sale
Property Type: Residential
Price: $129,000
Location: 26020 Frederick Road
Clarksburg
Maryland 20871
Style: Federal
Year Built: 1810
Half Bathrooms:
Lot Size (acres): .25
Size (square feet): 0
Condition: Project - needs work
Additional Out Buildings:
Submission Date: 11-11-2013
Last Update: 08-08-2014
2
-
Agent Details: Gary Gestson
Company Name: Historic Home Team of Long & Foster Real Estate, Inc.
Phone Number: 301-975-9500 ext.4604
Fax: 888-428-9737
Cell Number: 301-646-0046
Historic Davis House c.1810
Considered by many to be the finest home in the historic district of Hyattstown, the Davis House is also one of the oldest buildings still standing. Its Federal style architecture is elegant and the 2 story front porch has been restored to replicate late 19th century photo documentation of this extraordinary home. Much of the historic detailing remains intact and the partial restoration has been professionally done by a renowned historic preservation company. The structure itself is as it stood in the early 19th century - 2 rooms over 2 rooms, with an attic and a cellar. A historic easement requires that the exterior be preserved and additions to be approved by the Maryland Historical Trust. The Davis House is the only home in the Hyattstown Historic District to have its own historic preservation designation. This is a rare opportunity to restore an important historic structure in Maryland.
A period compatible designed addition with kitchen & powder room on the main level, and a bathroom and third bedroom on the second level, would transform this extraordinary historic monument into livable history.

ROOMS


Main Floor (9 1/2' ceiling)
Center Hall 16' x 6.5' - Wood floor, front and back doors, front door transom, original locks, staircase, rough-in electrical.
Left Parlor 16' x 13' - Wood floor, fireplace with wood mantel, chair rail, 4 windows, rough-in electrical.
Right Parlor 16' x 11' - Wood floor, fireplace with wood mantel, restored paneling, 2 built-in cabinets, 2 windows, rough-in electrical. 2nd Floor
Hallway 9' x 6.5' - Wood floor, door to second story porch, staircase to attic, rough-in electrical.
Bedroom 1
 16' x 13' - Wood floor, fireplace with wood mantel, 3 windows, rough-in electrical. Bedroom 2 16' x 13' - Wood floor, fireplace with wood mantel, closet, 2 windows, rough-in electrical. 

HISTORIC SIGNIFICANCE

Maryland Historic Sites Inventory

Description

Federal style, of brick construction with Flemish bond brickwork in front, brick dental cornices, flush fireplace chimneys as each end. Full length porch, topped with a balcony opening from second floor. It had a separate kitchen building, which was later joined to the back of the house. Built on lot #35, one of the original 105 quarter acre lots laid out by Jesse Hyatt in 1798 on the Georgetown-Frederick Road, called the "Great Road".

Significance
As an example of brick, Federal style architecture, the Davis House can not be compared in the northwestern part of the county. Historically the house is significant also, and it figured in two wars. George Davis, builder, organized the Hyattstown Volunteers in response to the threat of war - the War of 1812. During the Civil War, rebels stole supplies from resident Nicholas Worthington who filled out a government from requesting reimbursement from the capitol.  Jacob & Mary Tabler lived at the Davis House after the war. "Jake" flew the stars and stripes from front porch, and dressed in the uniform he wore at the Battle of Gettysburg as an army captain for the Union. Levi Price owned the property at one time and later operated Price's Distillery south of Hyattstown. In the early 20th century "Miss Nellie" Burdette opened a hotel in the building.

HYATTSTOWN

Maryland Historical Trust
The Hyattstown Historic District is laid out along the "Great Road" (also known as Frederick Road). The Hyattstown Historic District is an excellent example of Montgomery County's early agrarian roadside communities. Laid out in 1798 by Jesse Hyatt, the town was incorporated in 1809 and was a thriving community by the mid-1820s. The community continued to prosper due to its location along the "Great Road." The town is an example of an early to mid-nineteenth-century thriving roadside community which served as a main stopping point along the roadway. The historic district retains its integrity of feeling, association, and setting Architecturally intact, the historic district conveys the sense of an early to mid-nineteenth-century community and its subsequent development. Structures are systematically placed and retain their historic lot sizes. Original walkways and alleys are still evident on the terrain. The road itself is curved and is lined with trees. The buildings retain their historic fabric, including historic windows. doors, shutters, and porches. Of the six representative buildings identified in the initial 1976 survey of Hyattstown, five remain in good condition (the Hyatt House Hotel, the Methodist Episcopal Church, the Davis House, the Brengle House and the Hyattstown Mill).
(more)

CHAIN OF TITLE

1798 - Jesse Hyatt laid out 105 quarter acre lots to form a town along the "Great Road" from Georgetown to Frederick Town.
1812 - George Davis bought lot #35 - In 1812 Davis, a wealthy businessman, organized the Hyattstown Volunteer Militia during the War of 1812.
1815 - Daniel Collins, a defrocked priest from New York and a tailor by trade, Collins was also the first constable. As constable he was accused of taking bribes, and fined in Equity Court of accepting illegal fees from Jesse Hyatt. He left Hyattstown for Great Falls area in 1818.
1818 - Joseph Anderson owned of the smith shop in town & in 1837 became its postmaster.
1850 - Nicholas Worthington, a wealthy merchant, and his family, lived here. In August 1861, during the Civil War,  intelligence reports mentioning munitions and arms being stored at the Davis House reached Union forces under the command of Captain Kimtall, who headed a detail of 20 soldiers to search the house. The only arms found were a few old muskets from the Revolutionary War. 1862 Confederate soldiers commandeered supplies from Worthington, for which he later requested reimbursement, but did not receive.
1863- Zerviah McElfresh purchased the property for $1,000.
1864- William Grimes was a shoemaker in town.
1866 - Levi Price owned & operated a distillery outside of town, Prices Distillery.
1868 - Jacob Tabler, a proud Civil War veteran and Gettysburg battle survivor, Tabler flew the Union flag and dressed in his captain's uniform on all special occasions. Charles Tabler then lived there. He was a carpenter and his daughter, Catherine, was a dressmaker. In 1911, Carl & Nellie Burdette moved in.
1915 - Nellie Burdette  also owned the Hyatt Hotel across the street. It was said that with one hours notice, she could catch, kill and prepare a chicken for your dinner. She lived in the back rooms, and rented the front rooms to travelers, teachers, and boarders.
Mid-20th Century - The school and many merchants moved from Hyattstown and the Davis House remained vacant.
1985 - Friends of Historic Hyattstown, Inc. received a historic preservation easement from the Maryland Historical Trust.
1992 - Current Owners purchased and began the restoration. Briefly served as The "Georgetown to Frederick Town" Great Road Museum.

THE GREAT ROAD

What is now, Route 355, in much of the 19th & early 20th centuries was the main road north & west out of Washington, DC. It connected Georgetown to Frederick Town and then all points west. It was called "The Great Road" and carried crops to market, troops to battle, travelers & even the presidents to Camp David. Andrew Jackson, famously spent the night in Hyattstown on the way to his inauguration to become president. Hyattstown grew and prospered along The Great Road. "The Great Road became a military supply route during the war years, as well as, hosting troops in the local taverns. George Washington stopped at area taverns on his way to Frederick Town, and on return trips to Georgetown. During this era of stage coach travel, the taverns or ordinaries were located 15-20 miles apart. Stage coach drivers could count on getting that far in a day, when the road conditions were good. Their passengers could get grog, supper and lodging for the night, and livery stables were available for the team of horses."  The History of Hyattstown Maryland (this is a must read and downloadable through Heritage Books)

LINKS

Maryland Historical Trust - The Davis House
Maryland Historical Trust - Hyattstown Historic District
Montgomery County Historic Districts - Montgomery County Planning
Hyattstown Walking Tour - Historic Tour of Hyattstown
Heritage Books - The History of Hyattstown Maryland by Dona Lou Cutler & Michael Dwyer
Hyattstown Plat - Layout of the Historic District

VIDEOS

Montgomery County Historical Society - All about the history of the county (22 min.)

VIRTUAL TOUR (Theater Style Viewer)

Play VisualTour

VIDEO

{calendar}


Photo Gallery



Parlor


Parlor


Bedroom


Porch


Rear View






Find On The Map







Recently Visited Listings