Historic Waverly Mansion c.1855 Set on 12 picturesque acres (*additional acreage available), Waverly Mansion is a historic landmark and a superb equestrian facility MINUTES CLOSE TO DC & ANNAPOLIS. Built in 1855 by the prosperous tobacco grower, John W. Burroughs, this elegant Italianate Victorian, a rare remaining example of period “Big-House” two-staircase design, is richly appointed with high ceilings, elaborate moldings and medallions, classic marble mantels, original wood paneling and floors, and more. A grand entry hall with a magnificent 3-storey flying staircase opens to dual formal parlors, a formal dining room, and a gourmet kitchen. The bedrooms are unusually spacious, including a luxurious master-suite with spa-bathroom, a walk-in closet, and utility room. With rolling hills, pastoral vistas, and every amenity for the horse enthusiast, this private horse training facility is first class and Waverly Mansion is a home of rare and beautiful distinction. The equestrian facility and grounds include stables with 12 stalls, 2 of which also serve as run-ins, plus a roomy indoor washing area, an owner's tack room, a boarders’ tack room, a tenant/barn manager apartment, and various outbuildings, including a small animal barn, as well as the original smoke house, and summer kitchen mirroring the architecture of the house. The numerous paddocks have board fencing and run-ins, and there is a dressage arena with professional footing and drainage to USDF specs. Located in the protected Rural Tier, Waverly stands adjacent to Patuxent River Park, comprising 6,000 wooded acres and miles of glorious horse-riding trails. A spectacular historic home and excellent horse boarding/training facility, in a privileged location for both city life and equestrian pursuits, Waverly cannot easily be matched in the DC area.
VIDEO WALKING TOUR
First Floor (13' ceilings) Center Hall 39' x 10' - Wood floor, crown & ceiling molding, crystal chandelier with ornate plaster medallion. Front Parlor 19' x 17' - Wood floor, fireplace with marble mantel, crown & ceiling molding, pocket doors, crystal chandelier with ornate plaster medallion, 3 window alcove accessed through pocket doors, 2 windows. Rear Parlor 18' x 17' - Wood floor, fireplace with marble mantel, crown & ceiling molding, hanging lamp with ornate plaster medallion, 3 windows. Dining Room 20' x 15' - Wood floor, crystal chandelier, fireplace with marble mantel, crown molding, closet, 3 windows. Kitchen 19' x 16' - Ceramic tile floor, fireplace (gas insert) with marble mantel, crystal chandelier with medallion, granite counters, center island with sink, double sinks, dishwasher, Kitchenaid refrigerator, Thermador professional gas range, painted wood cabinets, 2 windows. Hallway - Wood floor, back staircase, exterior door. Powder Room - Ceramic tile floor. Family Room 23' x 13' - Carpet, fireplace with wood stove, wainscot, ceiling fan, 10 windows.
Second Floor (12' ceilings) Master Bedroom 20' x 16' - Wood floor, crystal chandelier with medallion, fireplace with marble mantel, walk-in closet, glass French doors to balcony, 2 windows. Master Bathroom 17' x 16' - Wood floor, whirlpool tub, shower, bidet, fireplace (gas) with marble mantel, crystal chandelier, closet, 3 windows. Bedroom 2 20' x 15' - Wood floor, crystal chandelier with medallion, fireplace with marble mantel, 2 closets, 3 windows. Bedroom 3 16' x 15'- Wood floor, crystal chandelier with medallion, fireplace with marble mantel, 2 closets, 3 windows. Bedroom 4 18' x 15' - Wood floor, fireplace with marble mantel, closet, 3 windows. Hall Bathroom - Ceramic tile floor, whirlpool tub, shower, 1 window.
Farm Amenities Stable 1 (2 story) - 12 stalls, tack room, one bedroom tenant apartment, proximity to lower paddocks and lighted dressage arena with professional footing. Equipment Shed Several outbuildings Period Summer Kitchen Period Smoke House Board Fenced Paddocks
Illustrated Inventory of Historic Sites and Districts, Prince George's County, Maryland
Built in 1855, Waverly is a two-and-one-half-story, hip-roof frame plantation house with bracketed cornice, board-and-batten siding and fine Italianate decorative detail. Two original domestic outbuildings of the same style and decorative detail stand on the grounds. Waverly was built by John W. Burroughs and was later the home of the Duvall family for nearly a century. Waverly is a rare example of board-and-batten siding; with its outstanding Italianate decorative detail, it is a unique example of its genre in Prince George’s County and was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1987. more...
National Register of Historic Places
Waverly is an excellent example of an Italianate style frame farmhouse. It is particularly significant, because at the time of its construction, it served as a model for at least one prominent local home-builder; today it is the only surviving building of its type in Prince George's County. Waverly stands on rolling farmland between Croon and Mount Calvert. In 1855, John W. Burroughs, son of Richard Burroughs, prosperous planter of the Nottingham area, purchased 273 acres of Mount Calvert Manor, and built on it this large and handsome dwelling. Waverly exhibits many of the finest details of the Italianate style of architecture, with its widely overhanging eaves supported by bold decorative brackets. Burroughs' new house introduced a new style to this rural area, and its bold Italianate Victorian features and unusually large size attracted the notice of other local residents... Waverly is also distinguished by board-and-batten siding, unusual in Prince George's County in this period. The interior exhibits several particularly fine elements of Italianate Victorian decor, like the pastel marble mantels, the massive and ornate three-story staircase, and the molded plaster cornices and ceiling medallions. Burroughs had a complete and contemporary set of outbuildings constructed to service his dwelling. They are particularly interesting in that they reflect the style of the house on a simpler level; hip roofs, board-and-batten siding, and overhanging eves punctuated by jigsaw brackets. The wash/wood house and the meat/meal house still stand in excellent condition just to the rear of the dwelling. After the Civil War, like many other planters of Prince George's County, John W. Burroughs went into debt, mortgaged his property, and soon defaulted on payments. By 1878, the Court of Equity appointed a trustee to sell his property... more...
Waverly Description - Maryland Historical Trust
Waverly is a two-part Italianate style frame house consisting of a 2 1/2-story hip-roofed main block, to which is attached a two-story hip-roofed kitchen wing. The house, constructed in 1855 is distinguished by board-and-batten siding, bold Italianate cornice brackets, and a principal entrance which reflects elements of the Greek Revival and the Italianate architectural style. The main block of the building, facing east, is five bays wide. The central three bays are covered by a hip-roofed porch on square columns, now screened. The porch has a molded cornice and dentiled frieze, and rests on stone piers. The entrance consists of a double door with Italian detailing, with three tall transom lights and sidelights. The sidelights and two of the transom lights contain frosted floral-motif panes. The transom lights are separated from the sidelights by large deeply carved Eastlake-style brackets. Windows are mostly 6/6 sash with louvered shutters, but the central second-floor bay holds a pair of 4/4 sash windows, each with a single shutter. more...
John W. Burroughs (1825-1884)
John W. Burroughs was a well-to-do planter who had been educated at Georgetown College (now Georgetown University) and the College of St. James in Hagerstown, Maryland. In 1852, John Burroughs married a young woman from Montgomery County, and three years later purchased 273 acres of the large tract known as Mount Calvert Manor. The large and handsome house that we know as Waverly was built at about this time. There is a long-standing tradition that the house was actually built by striking shipbuilders from Baltimore with ship building lumber. The 1860 census for Prince Georges County records John W. Burroughs, occupation “planter,” as having $19,000 in real estate holdings and $20,000 in personal holdings. After the Civil War, like many other planters of Prince George's County, John Burroughs went into debt, mortgaged his property, and soon defaulted on payments. The property was offered for sale in 1878, advertised as "a very handsome, commodious and well appointed frame dwelling containing 10 or 12 rooms and spacious cellars, one double house for servants, meat house, stable, poultry houses, carriage house and granary, all recently built." E xceprt from Burrough's Diary
Waverly Equestrian Training and Boarding
This private setting and picturesque farm is just minutes from downtown Washington DC. Few regional horse training facilities share such an ideal location adjacent to a 6,000 acre park with miles of public use riding trails. This property is designed as a first class training facility with a 10 stall stable and one bedroom apartment, dressage arena (professional footing) and paddocks on the south side and an 18 stall stable and two bedroom apartment, riding arena, and paddocks on the north side. This is a turnkey dressage, boarding or horse breeding facility.
Additional acreage and stable available.
Chain of Title
1855- John & Catharine Dufief to John W. Burroughs 1880 - Franklin Bank of Baltimore 1884 - Minnie Hill 1888 - Francis Bowie 1888- Annie L. Briggs 1899 - William H. Duvall 1900 - Matilda Duvall (wife of William) 1971 - Sold out of the Duvall family