Historic Bunnell-Anderson House c.1830

MLS #: PG9734434
Listing Type: For Sale
Property Type: Residential
Price: $550,000
Location: 14509 Church Street
Upper Marlboro
Maryland 20772
Style: Farm House
Year Built: 1830
Half Bathrooms: 1
Lot Size (acres): 0.77
Size (square feet): 2,950
Condition: Move in ready
Additional Out Buildings: Barn / Stable
Submission Date: 08-10-2016
Last Update: 12-15-2016
3
2
Agent Details: Gary Gestson
Company Name: Historic Homes Marketing Group
Phone Number: 866-437-8766
Fax: 888-428-9737
Cell Number: 301-646-0046
Historic Bunnell-Anderson House c.1830
This significant historic home is located in the Upper Marlboro Historic District with easy access to downtown DC and Annapolis. The current owners have taken pride in their stewardship and preserved the historic detailing, while updating the home with modern amenities that include a spacious gourmet kitchen with stainless steel appliances, a large master suite with a luxurious bathroom, state of the art, high velocity air conditioning system and much more. The grounds back to woods and include a recently constructed barn, 2 car garage and a charming fenced herb garden with stone walkways. Steeped in early Upper Marlboro history, the original part of the house likely dates to 1817. It was purchased in 1843, by the master carpenter, Reuben Bunnell, who would build several of the surrounding homes and who also, along with his son, constructed additions to this home, in 1860 & 1885. The Bunnell family lived in the home until 1907. Preserved for nearly 2 centuries by caring stewards, this is a home of rare and beautiful distinction.

Additional Amenities

2 Car Garage
Stone Patio
Vintage Shed
Fenced Herb Garden
New Barn

Improvements

Installed high velocity A/C
Remodeled Kitchen
Remodeled Master Bath
Remodeled Library
Installed stone patio
Added garden and fence
Created utility room
New barn
*Total cost of current owner improvements is approximately $178,000.

Illustrated Inventory of Historic Sites and Districts, Prince George's County, Maryland

Built in 1830, this vernacular single-family dwelling was enlarged in three phases spanning 160 years. A dwelling, owned by John Duckett, was sited on this lot as early as 1817; possibly it was incorporated into the present main block. In 1843, the property was transferred to Reuben Bunnell. Bunnell was a carpenter and built several other houses nearby. The house reflects four different periods of building construction and is significant as an example of the progression of a rural, nineteenth-century house. Later in the twentieth century it was owned by the Anderson family. more...

Bunnell-Anderson House Description - Maryland Historical Trust

Constructed c. 1830, this vernacular two ­story, three­ bay single ­family dwelling was enlarged in three phases spanning 160 years. The dwelling originally had an I-­house form and is now composed of a two­ story main block that faces eastward, fronting Valley Lane. The wood­ frame dwelling’s original wood weatherboard siding has been replaced with vinyl siding. Set on a solid brick foundation that has been parged, the main block is capped by a side­ gable roof of asphalt shingles. The roof is finished with overhanging eaves and a boxed cornice. An interior­ end brick chimney rises from the south (side) elevation and has a corbeled cap. The northernmost opening of the first story of the façade (east elevation) serves as the entry bay and contains a replacement, single­leaf, paneled wood door with lights. The central and southern bays contain 6/6, wood­ sash windows with vinyl­ clad surrounds. The second story of the façade is pierced by three openings, each containing a 6/6, wood­ sash window with vinyl­ clad surrounds and louvered vinyl shutters. The first story of the façade is sheltered by a one­ story, full­ width porch, which is set on a solid parged foundation. The shed roof of the porch is covered with asphalt shingles and is supported by square wood posts. The roof is completed with overhanging eaves and exposed rafter ends. The south elevation features one opening on the first and second stories, each containing a 6/6, wood­ sash window with vinyl­ clad surrounds and louvered vinyl shutters. more...

Chain of Title

The Bunnell-Anderson House was constructed c. 1830 at 14509 Church Street in Upper Marlboro, Maryland, when the property was owned by Alexius and Sarah Wood. A dwelling, owned by John Duckett, was sited on this lot as early as 1817 and it is possible that it was incorporated into the present main block of the dwelling. In 1822, the property was conveyed to Alexius and Sarah Wood. In 1843, the property was transferred to Reuben Bunnell, a carpenter. Bunnell and his son are most likely responsible for the two additions added to the house in c. 1850 and c. 1885. The property stayed in the Bunnell family until 1907. The Anderson family owned the property from 1947 until 1998.

Upper Marlboro Historic District

Upper Marlboro, established in 1706 and designated the county seat in 1721, retains a collection of distinctive residential property types constructed between the early 18th century and the mid 20th century. Commercial development largely occurred around the government buildings located in the center of town, and the majority of residential development occurred outside the town center, to the west and north. The residential development that occurred outside the town center, to the west and north. The residential development that occurred in Upper Marlboro directly resulted from the town's designation as a county seat in the 18th century and its continuance in that role to the present day. Furthermore, Upper Marlboro's importance as a political, economic, social, and cultural center during the 18th, 19th, and 20th centuries influenced the construction of residential dwellings by citizens who desired to be within close proximity of the bustling town. The history of the Town of Upper Marlboro Residential Area is directly related to the history of Upper Marlboro as the center of the political, commercial, and social life for Prince George's County. The district is historically significant for its association with community planning and development, as a notable collection of residential buildings that reflects development over time, from the 18th through the 20th centuries. more...

Links

Maryland Historical Trust - Inventory of Historic Properties
Prince Georges County Historic - Historic Sites Inventory
Description & Significance - Price George's County Historic Site Summary Sheet
Upper Marlboro Historic District - National Register of Historic Places
Map - Upper Marlboro Historic District
Upper Marboro - Town website

Contact Me

Gary Gestson
Certified Historic Properties Specialist
Long & Foster Real Estate, Inc.
189 Kentlands Blvd. Gaithersburg, MD 20878
gary@HistoricHomeTeam.com
301-975-9500 ext.4604 Office
301-646-0046 Mobile
{calendar}


Photo Gallery



Living Room


Kitchen


Master Bedroom


Master Bathroom


Garden






Find On The Map







Recently Visited Listings