In the Chestnut/Meem Historic District, this is a beautifully restored American Foursquare with a charming front porch and 30' x 30' detached 2 story garage/studio, at the end of a dead end street. With 4 bedrooms & 2 bathrooms, gorgeous wood floors, gourmet kitchen, pocket doors, fireplaces with wood mantels, original moldings, sunroom, expansive deck, private yard, this is a home of rare and beautiful distinction close to DC, yet a world away. Minutes to the MARC train, shopping and entertainment. The Sellers are just the 3rd family to own this extraordinary property since it was built over 100 years ago.
Home faces north with sunrise and sunset views from ample windows on all sides of the house.
Original molding around all doors and windows.
Original doors and antique door knobs
Hand-carved original oak front door
Original push button light switches
Detached 30’ x 30’ building that could serve as a space for an art studio, carpenter shop, recreation space or 2.5 car width garage. Huge storage area above with exterior and interior loft access plus a 10 x 20 foot concrete pad out front
Shady, old-fashioned front porch with 4 stately columns and mahogany deck under a red steel roof
New rear four-season sun porch that opens out to a brand new 20’x 12’ open air shady deck with double staircases that lead to landscaped back and side yards; notch for large grill built into the deck design
Built-in custom wall of floor-to-ceiling drawers in master bedroom for generous storage for seasonal wardrobe organization.
Upstairs laundry area with shelving for supplies
1920's claw foot tub with deluxe french shower faucetry in upstairs bath surrounded by floor-to-ceiling subway tiles, mirror and glass block window
Sculptural granite shower with modern oversized shower head and cherry hardwood floor in downstairs bathroom
Raised, glass-enclosed wood burning fireplace with full-stocked firewood supply
Exposed rough-cut cedar-beamed ceiling in living room with track lighting and wrap-around wainscote walls and built-in book case
Private dining room with original pocket doors and large picture window featuring original carved mantle as room centerpiece
Upgraded cook-designed kitchen with butcher block island; Italian granite counter; glass checked backsplash tiles; Kitchen Aid appliances; brand new down-draft Kitchen Aid glass top electric stove; 5” plank hardwood cherry floors; maple cabinets; new 3/4 horsepower garbage disposal; solid brass Hunter ceiling fan with lifetime guarantee
Gardeners! Ready to plant in huge raised-bed organic vegetable garden
Landscaped perennial gardens; 2 crepe myrtles and many of hostas, black-eyed susans and lilies, daffodils and tulips.
Fire pit on the private side yard
Last house on a wooded dead-end street with an multi-car gravel driveway plus 300-ft of street parking
Upgraded turn-of-the-century cellar with brand new Bilco entrance and custom-crafted marble steps; annually maintained under premium service contract; baseboard oil heat furnace which generates unlimited hot water (no hot water tank)
Easy access to spacious, insulated, stand up attic with 10-foot gables
All rooms freshly painted—ready to move in!
8' x 8' garden and tool shed with steel roof for lawn mower and tool storage.
Only one house as a neighbor
Property line blends into wooded section of trees that creates an enclave on a historic dead-end street
The family of Gaithersburg's first Mayor sub-divided part of their farm in 1896 for this residential neighborhood. Robertson house was, built in 1911 on one.of these lots, and is a near original example. of the popular "American Foursquare" architectural style. It was owned by the Robertsons for over 60 years.
"Meem's Addition to Gaithersburg" was platted in 1896 on part of the 18th century Rawling's family farm. Martha Meem purchased 200 acres of "Rawling's Rest" and "Zoar" in 1862, and her family built the large Victorian home on Chestnut Street. When the land was subdivided in 1896, this lot was one of the 8 owned by George Meem. Mr. Meem was a driving force in the development of Gaithersburg as a mercantile and trade center. He was the first Mayor of Gaithersburg, after that system was adopted in 1898.
The 30 lots of "Meem's Addition" occupied a triangular area between Diamond Avenue and the B&O Railroad tracks. The lots were large, nearly 2 acre and heavily treed, but Meem's Addition was not a residential success, and few lots were sold, in the first decade.
In 1911 William and Lillian Robertson purchased lots 26 and 27 for $200. A mortgage for $1,425 paid for the construction of this house in the same year. The Robertson House is an example of a variant of the colonial revival architecture, commonly called American Foursquare. This house is typical of that style with its box shape, symmetrical arrangement and full width porch with classical columns. The house is in near original condition except for the composition shingling applied over the original frame siding.
With the death of Lillian Robertson in 1973, the 60 year occupancy by that family ended.3 During those years many of the vacant lots in Meem's Addition had been developed, and a wide variety of architectural styles are evident, with this home one of the earliest. more from MHT...
The Chestnut/Meem area embodies both the development patterns of the City and a parallel generational history over the past 150 years.
The First Stage ( 1846-1896) Large farms or estates, owned by a few families, characterized the area at the beginning of this stage. However, the land, being next to two major transportation routes, the Georgetowne to Fredericktowne Road (MD Route 355) and the railroad, was ideally positioned for development. Toward the end of this first stage, several large impressive Victorian style homes had been built on one-acre lots in the Chestnut/Meem area. These original Victorian homes still dominate the area expressing the intent of the property owners to establish a prestigious area of grand houses.
The Second Stage ( 1896-1948) In 1896, the unsold land of the Meem Family along Chestnut Street, Meem Avenue, and West Diamond Avenue (Barnesville Road) was subdivided into thirty approximately one-half acre lots. More building occurred during this time, much of it done by the descendants of the early home builders of the area. Intact houses remain exemplifying the Craftsman period, Sears houses, and bungalows which show the transition to more compact centrally-heated homes. During this era, families still maintained large gardens, chickens and other animals to feed their families.
The Third Stage ( 1949-1995) The area as a whole remained sparsely developed until the 1950s when some lots were further subdivided into smaller parcels for smaller dwellings. Now the residential land is almost completely developed with modern infill, mostly one-story ramblers, cape-cod residences, and some commercial properties. This changes were accompanied with others: the streets were paved, the Montgomery County Agriculture Center (Fairgrounds) was built, and modern traffic and railroad signals installed. Land next to the railroad has been zoned for industrial and commercial use and some of the original houses have been demolished for new development or converted to commercial uses. The current residential area has continued to be a desirable location for its large yards, convenience, and mix of character.
...George and Otto had houses on Diamond Avenue and Cloriviere lived in Mrs. Bibb's house, "Pomona" near Brown's Station, before building a new house "Idlewilde" on land across from the main gate of what is now the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). Albert lived in the new family home and Harry C. Meem sold his properties and moved to Dickerson where he was the railroad agent for many years. Cloriviere sold lots 26 and 27 at the north end of Meem to William Robertson in 1911. Mr. Robertson built the fine foursquare house at 115 Meem (now 117 Meem) which remained in his family until the 1970s. The one-acre parcel had a large garden, orchard, and chicken house. The original receipts for the furnishings for this house are in the possession of the Robertson's son, Daniel Robertson, of Gaithersburg. more from MHT...
Brief History of Gaithersburg
Gaithersburg was a small rural community in the early 19th century. Commerce did not boom until the coming of the railroad in the late 19th century. Rail service from Gaithersburg was established in September 1872, but the line was not yet complete to Rockville. Regular service of the Metropolitan Branch of the Baltimore & Ohio (B&O) Railroad began in May 1873, and the town soon became the commercial hub of central Montgomery County. Commerce shifted from Frederick Avenue to Diamond Avenue near the train station which soon became the hub of town. The town established its own government in 1878. The current train station was built in 1884 on the east side of Summit Avenue, and trains still play a role in Gaithersburg today. The MARC commuter rail line, a successor to the trains run by the B&O, still provides daily commuter service to Washington for the residents of Gaithersburg.
As early as 1887 the railroad was advertising monthly tickets for the 21.5 mile trip from Gaithersburg to Washington. While many commuters settled in towns closer to Washington such as Takoma Park and Kensington, an increasing number of commuters traveled from Gaithersburg. This trend likely precipitated the development of the area known as Brookes, Russell and Walker south of Realty Park but just north of the train station. While this suburban community evolved from a series of subdivisions of land that was added to the city, it has a cohesive architectural style because it was developed over a short period of time. more (MHT)...