Felicity and Oakland Mills Blacksmith Shop

MLS #: HW9876428
Listing Type: For Sale
Property Type: Residential
Price: $350,000
Location: 5471 Old Columbia Road
Columbia
Maryland 21045
Style: Colonial
Year Built: 1798
Half Bathrooms:
Lot Size (acres): 1.98
Size (square feet): 0
Condition: Move in ready
Additional Out Buildings: Carriage House
Submission Date: 04-25-2017
Last Update: 04-25-2017
4
1
Agent Details: Nellie Arrington
Company Name: Long & Foster Real Estate, Inc.
Phone Number: 410-715-2703
Fax: 410-730-7186
Cell Number:
Listed on the National Register of Historic Place, Felicity dates to 1798, comprises nearly 2 acres near the heart of Columbia, and includes the house dating to at least 1820, the adjacent smokehouse, the stone ruins of the spring house with what have been an attached harvest kitchen, and the Oakland Mills Blacksmith Shop with its two foundries. Its ownership includes Charles Sterrett Ridgely, better know as the owner of Hampton,located in Towson, north of Baltimore, and the Whipps family, who operated the blacksmith shop until around 1950. The area where the property is located was a colonial commercial center, with a wheelwright, cooper, mill, and store located on the main road (now US Route 29) between Ellicott City and Washington, DC. The house includes the original core of the house, now a dining room with its fireplace, as well as subsequent additions that now include a family room, living room, den, and four bedrooms. Many of the features of the house appear to date into the 1800s, including the random-width floors. Updated utilities are installed. The house is livable, but the blacksmith shop needs to be stabilized and restored. The property has been well-documented.
{calendar}


Photo Gallery



Dining Room
This is the oldest part of the house, and is believed to date to 1798.


Living Room
This is the room entered through the front door as seen in the exterior photo, and is actually on the second floor of the house. It is above the dining room.


Family room
A later addition to the lower level, this room was used by the past two owners as an antiques shop. While repairing the plank floors, the current owners found shards of flow blue and china pieces, now on display in the house.


Master bedroom
The master bedroom looks out over the back yard from a rear, covered porch. The floors here are wide random-width pine. Located on the second floor of the house, this is adjacent to a full bathroom.


Oakland Mills Blacksmith Shop
The shop dates to approximately 1820-1830. The building, which was used for research by Colonial Williamsburg, included two and possibly three foundries, now partially intact. The building does need stabilization and restoration.






Find On The Map







Recently Visited Listings